Getting Started with Green HomesName: Getting Started with Green HomesDate: February 22, 2018Time: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM CSTWebsite: http://www.TulsaHBA.comRegistration: Register NowEvent Description:
FEBRUARY 22 WORKSHOP CANCELLED - SPEAKER UNAVAILABLE TO TRAVEL.
WORKSHOP RESCHEDULED ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2018; SAME TIME, SAME PLACE.
This 4-hour workshop addresses the basics of what a “green home” is, how to market and sell green homes, and how green your current projects may already be when scored with the ICC-700 National Green Building Standard.
Module 1 – What Makes a Green Home Green
Green homes are holistic approaches to building and remodeling which offer healthier, safer and more comfortable living spaces than many traditionally-built or code-built homes. While building or remodeling a green home does not need to be hard, it does require attention to detail and careful planning to ensure all the needed elements are met. This module will outline the basics of a green home and how it is accomplished.
- Learn the categories of building practices in a green home
- Learn 2-3 benefits associated with each green building practice category
- Learn 3-5 building practices or products associated with each category
- Learn 3 of the national green or energy-efficient home certification programs
Module 2 – Sell Green for More Green
Building/remodeling green and energy-efficient homes matters and your homes reflect this importance. Can you sell homes for more money? How do you talk to your potential homebuyers? Do you and your sales staff know how to talk “green”?
This module will teach how to sell green and energy-efficient homes using new language – the language of benefits. Benefits provide the emotional “pull” and provide a more direct communication with home buyers. Key phrases of the language provide the emotional benefit that connect to the features and “tech jargon” of the home. With some work on the language and how it’s used you can sell energy-efficiency without ever using the word “green.”
- Learn the basics of a new language to talk to potential homebuyers about green and energy-efficient homes
- Learn how to "sell" the emotional value of energy-efficient and green features in a home
- Learn the key phrases of the new language that will help you sell more houses faster
- Learn how to sell green without even using the word green.
Module 3 – How Green Might My Project Be
You may already be building or remodeling at or near a National Green Building Standard™ (NGBS) green home certification level and leaving hard-earned value on the drawing board. Adding green home certification will help you sell your projects for their full green value. This interactive module will help participants learn how close to green home certification projects may already be. Using participant’s input on their plans and specs and the National Green Building Standard™ (NGBS) Green Scoring Tool, this module will show what level of green home certification may be attained for a current project.
The module will also highlight next certification requirements, to help participants move towards a certified green home. Feel free to bring your plans, specs and laptop for this lively 2-hour hands-on module to put your projects to the "green test."
- Learn how to access, download and use the National Green Building Standard™ Green Scoring Tool to “claim” green building practices for a new construction single-family home project.
- Learn how to use house plans, specifications and the NGBS Green Scoring Tool to determine what level of green a current residential project could attain.
- Learn the interdependencies of green building practices among different sections of the NGBS and Green Scoring Tool
- Learn how to compare a new construction single-family home project to the NGBS™ and what the next steps are to green certifying residential projects projects.
Course Presenter - Marla Esser Cloos, NAHB Master Certified Green Professional, LEED AP
Marla Esser Cloos, Green Home Coach, inspires and educates about what makes a green home green and how to do it, a bit at a time or all at once. Her work creating an online owners’ manual for green and greener homes, HomeNav.com, and work with national and local businesses, and other groups and associations, provides her a unique perspective to voice the true values of green homes as safer, healthier and more comfortable homes.
Marla founded and co-hosts the Green Gab Podcast, on iTunes, 2 Guys Talking Podcast Network and GreenHomeCoach.com. She blogs on Green Home Coach and Proud Green Home. Her articles have appeared in Green Home Builder, Building Women and The Healthy Planet. She is the author of Living Green Effortlessly: Simple Choices to a Better Home available for purchase at NAHB Builder Books.